Monday, September 28, 2009

Oldstep

October 30th I will be opening for the Glitch Mob at Small Planet. This is the first show of the newly re-incarnated POP Entertainment, which went defunct about three years ago after bringing some totally kickass people to MSU. (I saw Dizzee Rascal in the Union Ballroom!) So this got me hauling out some "old school"(?) dubstep and reminiscing about those good ol' days in Landon Hall...

The year is 2005. I spend the majority of time in my room downloading and streaming pirate radio shows of grime and dubstep from RinseFM, scheduling my social life around the Skream and N-Type programs. Back then, this was the only way to get dubstep over here, unless you wanted to order (and pay for) the import 12-inches themselves. Soooo obviously I went out and found myself a record player, stopped by FBC, and lo and behold they had a section titled "Garage/2-step," if I remember correctly. Thereupon I witnessed the grail of my quest, two nice new shiny black dubstep 12's. Here are some fresh A-side rips for ya.


Skream - Traitor (2005) (Download)









Loefah - The Goat Stare (Download)








I love these old cerebral 8-bar tracks. Anyone not up on this stuff should absolutely check out this BBC1 program with J da Flex from 2003. (Benga is sixteen years old here!)

Lamacq - The New Step (Download)






No comments:

Post a Comment