Saturday, April 4, 2009

RRRRUSKO BANTON

Me + Rusko + Chicago = Thursday night.



I caught the current king of the dubstep floor the other night in Chicago. Rusko's on his first American tour as dubstep struggles for recognition as a legitimate dance music amongst tastemaking circles. I can't and won't theorize on 'where the scene is going' but I will say that a dubstep party that isn't going off somehow seems a little more barren, almost depressing, than it would if it were any other genre. This appeared to be the case when we got to the club around 11:30, but by the time Rusko hopped on the place absolutely went off. Dude's got the most club-friendly dubstep going around these days, and MC Rod Azlan filled in the slow gaps and pull-backs with ad-lib Brixton banter. About 90 minutes of hammering wobble bass and Rusko threw on a couple jungle tracks before peacing out. I was in dire need of a chili dog, so I didn't stay for the closing DJ, but I assume cool-down dubstep is much more appropriate than warm-up dubstep.

Here's a bit of what I'm talking about, his live 2hour Essential Mix on the BBC and a shorter 50minute studio mix:

Rusko - Essential Mix
(Download)








Rusko - Bloc Mix (Download)








PLUUUUUUUS!
Kid Cudi - Day'n'Night (Rusko Remix) (Download)






No comments:

Post a Comment