Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Friday night lights

This Friday I'll be closing a show at Mac's for Elliot Street Lunatic's CD release party. I was skeptical when I found out it was booked by Fusion Shows, which is notorious for booking mind-grating all ages indie-pop shows, but I gave some of these bands a listen and now I'm pumped.



Elliot Street Lunatic
offers solid alt rock but with a real spacey vibe; I'm thinking like a much happier Interpol. I'm hoping the float-away droning parts of the songs get extensions in the live show. I am not afraid of those not afraid to jam. Also check them out in the CityPulse today,here.

Loune
is opening the night with their debut live performance. Check out their sole finished recording at the ol' myspace. I know them personally and can vouch for the exorbitant amount of time they spent on this recording. It pays off though. Not only would I never suspect this was a basement creation, but you get to catch some new one-off quirky sound in the background every time you listen. (The thumb piano, the left-channel voices at 1:26, the organ fill, the drum reverb at 2:17...) This all seems symptomatic of a first recording attempt: hours and hours "just fucking around" in the basement, but I'm looking forward to seeing this kind of production mentality spread out across their forthcoming EP.

Nightdaze, Way To Fall, Paradisiac, and Lay of the Cid will also be there.

But when all is said and done Friday night, I hope these people like funk music...

No comments:

Post a Comment